Close

13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird (for Wallace Stevens)

Photographic Artist’s Book: photograms, photographic prints including Sabattier effects (pseudosolarization).
13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird (for Wallace Stevens), 2018
Photographic Artist’s Book created in response to Wallace Stevens’ poem, Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird.
Among twenty snowy mountains/The only moving thing/Was the eye of the blackbird.
I was of three minds,/Like a tree/In which there are three blackbirds
The blackbird whirled in the autumn winds./It was a small part of the pantomime.
A man and a woman/Are one./A man and a woman and a blackbird/Are one.
I do not know which to prefer,/The beauty of inflections/Or the beauty of innuendoes,/The blackbird whistling/Or just after.
Icicles filled the long window/With barbaric glass/The shadow of the blackbird/Crossed it, to and fro./The mood/Traced in the shadow/An indecipherable cause.
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
I know noble accents/And lucid, inescapable rhythms;/But I know, too,/That the blackbird is involved/In what I know.
When the blackbird flew out of sight,/It marked the edge/Of one of many circles.
At the sight of blackbirds/Flying in a green light,/Even the bauds of euphony/Would cry out sharply.
He rode over Connecticut/In a glass coach./Once, a fear pierced him,/In that he mistook/The shadow of his equipage/For blackbirds.
The river is moving./The blackbird must be flying
It was evening all afternoon./It was snowing/And it was going to snow/The blackbird sat/In the cedar-limbs
Kodak No. 2A Folding Autographic camera
If Wallace Stevens had a camera, it might have been this model.
Back
css.php